Turneffe Flats Recipes - Turneffe Flats Belize
Turneffe Flats recipes for the meals served each week available here. The complete cookbook is available for purchase in our Gift Shop.
TURNEFFE FLATS RECIPES
Below are a couple of our recipes from our Turneffe Flats Recipe Book which is for sale at the lodge or through our reservation office.
- 4 Large Conch
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Onion
- 3 Scallions or green onions
- 6 or 8 Large Limes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers-finely chopped
- 1 Habanero Pepper-finely chopped
- 10 – 15 Pimento-Stuffed Olives-quartered
- Chopped Cilantro - about 1 tablespoon
Cut into bite-sized pieces, soak in a bowl of salted water for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, dice tomatoes, onion, scallions. Drain water from conch, add cut tomatoes, onions, scallions, olives, cilantro and peppers. Squeeze lime juice of 8 limes -- add more if needed. Add 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, 1 teaspoon olive oil, mix well to coat. Let marinade for 4 - 6 hours. Serve with corn tortilla chips.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped (½ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded
- 4 cups fresh chicken stock or broth
- 1 1/2 Cups shredded cooked chicken
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime juice to taste
- Fried corn tortilla strips
- Sour Cream
Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and pepper, cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp tender. Stir in broth, salt, cilantro and lime juice. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken; heat until hot.
Serve soup in bowls topped with small handful of fried corn tortilla (4-5 strips) and top with 1 tsp sour cream.
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breasts, Diced into Bite sized pieces.
- 1 Onion - Medium, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Small Can Diced Green Chiles
- 8 Ozs. Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Bags Crunchy Corn Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
Heat butter in skillet, add onions and chicken and saute until chicken is partially cooked. Add cream of chicken and mushroom soups, green chiles, 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon salsa. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Crush corn tortilla chips and layer in casserole dish, starting with chips, chicken mixture, then cheese. Finish with little corn chips and cheese. Bake in pre-heated oven for 25- 30 minutes until casserole stops bubbling.
Cut into 6 squares, top each square with 2 teaspoons sour cream, and 1 teaspoon or more if desired, salsa.
- 2 whole chickens- quartered
- Wash chicken quarters with vinegar (¼ cup) and water. Drain & pat dry.
- Recado paste (about 1 ½ teaspoon)- (recado is a Mexican and Belizean seasoning made from the achiote seeds, spice seeds, ground together, mixed with a little vinegar and made into a soft paste. Used on all meats and seafood)
- 3-4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon season all
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons thyme
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dissolve recado paste in vinegar, mix in all other ingredients and rub into chicken pieces; let marinate for at least one hour.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded & julienned
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
Heat 3 tablespoons cooking oil in skillet, brown chicken on both sides. Save marinade. Remove and set aside. In same oil, sauté onions, pepper & garlic. Place chicken in deep baking pan, add marinade and about 2/3 cup water. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Remove from oven, add sautéed onions, garlic and pepper and continue baking uncovered for ½ hour. Serve with Rice & Beans, or mashed potatoes, using pan juices as gravy.